AfroCrowd (stylized as AfroCROWD) is an initiative to create and improve information about black culture and history on Wikipedia. The New York City-based project was founded by Alice Backer in 2015.
Some observers have noted a dearth in content pertaining to sub-Saharan African history on Wikipedia. In 2015, lawyer Alice Backer founded AfroCROWD. Backer launched AfroCROWD to, "rectify Wikipedia's lack of articles about black history and black culture." According to Backer the aim of the project is to, "give people of color opportunities to do more than participate in and consume social media."
Strategies and tactics
File:Wikijab023-sherry-antoine.mp3 AfroCROWD hosts edit-a-thons and talks across the metropolitan New York area. They have partnered with other organizations such as the Haiti Cultural Exchange and Haitian Creole Language Institute to host these events.
- Allum, Cynthia (February 29, 2016). "Women leading movements to champion equality on Wikipedia". The New York Times. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Delices, Patrick. "Black Digital Empowerment Through AfroCROWD workshops". Black Star News. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Matsuuchi, Ann (2017). "Connecting Wikipedia and the Archive: Building a Public History of HIV/AIDS in New York City". WikiStudies. 1 (1).
- Murphy, Carla (February 4, 2015). "Can 'Black Wikipedia' Take Off Like 'Black Twitter'?". ColorLines. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Jean, Fabiola (February 19, 2015). "AfroCrowd: Owning Haitian History Through Digital Empowerment". Haitian Times. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Jene-Fagon, Olivia; Yoshi Tani, Ellen (January 17, 2016). "The Art Genome Project: Why Are All the Black Artists Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?". Artsy.
Welcome to the Black Lunch Table: Jina Valentine and Heather Hart on Creating Space for Communities of Color in the Art World
- Frisella, Emily (April 27, 2017). "How Activists Are Diversifying Wikipedia One Edit At A Time". GOOD Magazine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AfroCROWD.|
|Meta has related information at: AfroCROWD User Group|
- No URL found. Please specify a URL here or add one to Wikidata.